Thursday, January 1, 2009

Starting Today

As my phone rang at 9ish this morning I was not thrilled. We (the entire family)(dogs, child, husband) were snug in our bed discussing our trip to Sea World yesterday. the answering machine answered the phone and on the other end was my very enthusiastic friend Jenks. She has been on a quest to lose weight and she has been very successful this far. She has been very good about sticking with it know matter what. Know matter what the scale says she keeps plugging away at it. She is very determined.

Me not so much. But as I sat and created my wish/goal list for 2009 I realized none of the things would come easily into my schedule. I know longer have the construction project to consume my time so I should have time to work on the list.

As the phone rang the urge to stay in bed was consuming me but I heard my friends perking enthusiastic voice on the other end saying " I called the Y and they're having a Zumba class today at 10, do you want to go"!? In that instant I wanted to say HELL NO! But, if I want to be an achiever then I need to do the work.

Back in the marathon, triathlon days I spent many of hours alone doing the work, at the gym, out on the road and in the kitchen. While in my prime running days my meals were lots of pasta and peas rarely Reese's peanut butter cups as was my breakfast today.

Today was the day, no excuses, so I laced up my sneakers and was off to the gym. I am glad Jenks called, although I was sluggish through out the class I went. I am sure I will have obstacles to overcome, but Jenks has the right idea....just keep going.

1 comment:

Felipa said...

Well I'm glad you went with me. If it makes you feel any better I was wiped out the rest of the day.